the function of -70 for X-ray film

DAB dboyd at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Nov 14 17:10:43 EST 1995

In article <482t3c$ikj at uucp.intac.com>, jrt at intac.com (John R. Thompson) wrote:

> Stephen Lessnick <stevel at ucla.edu> wrote:
>

> >1)  Why would one expose 35S sequencing gels at -70 degrees in the first
> >place since they don't possess enough energy to make the enhancing screen
> >worthwhile.  On the other hand, soaking the gel in salicylate or PPO
> >would provide the enhancement effect, and then I believe it would make a
> >difference to expose the gel at -70.
> >
> Use of a screen is not the only reason to expose at -70.  The film
> emulsion itself retains an image better at -70.  Thus irrespective of
> whether or not a screen is used, there is advantage to be gained by
> exposing at -70.
>
> Regards,
> John R. Thompson
> Merck Research Labs

Hello,
 I was just flipping through this article when I thought you might know
the effects of using "Amplify" from Biorad. I've been using it on my gels
(14C and 35S) and I think it does work although I  have been getting a
"grainy" effect on my gels when I subject them to vaccuum and heat when
drying which totally distorts any bands that have been
stained(Coomassie).Lately, I haven't been using it and just leave the gels
on film longer. What a pain!  Any suggestions or insight on Amplify?

Thanks,
               Elke

EGreif at ccu.umanitoba.ca

--
Hey, hey, hey, hey! It was the DNA.
Hey, hey, hey, hey! That made me this way.