2 genes on one plasmid

corboy at utdallas.edu corboy at utdallas.edu
Tue Nov 14 19:01:06 EST 1995

Sami Kohan (skohan at ucla.edu) wrote:
> I'm trying to build a vector with two genes and was going to use the same
> promoter twice. However I was told that it would cause recomibinations
> and otherwise mess up my experiment, however if the promoters are only
> 50bp it seems to my unexpert opinion to be too small of a homology to
> cause recombination. Any one have any experience with this?

	In my experience, I try to use recA- strains for plasmid
maintenance and expression anyway.  I don't know if your plasmid is for
bacteria, yeast, or mammalian cells.  Mammalian cells will do
recombination so rarely as to be negligible.  Most common E. coli strains
are recA-.  Yeast, on the other hand, are quite proficient at
recombination, but I don't think 50bp is enough to worry about.