pouring sequencing gels

futers at biovax.leeds.ac.uk futers at biovax.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 13:45:34 EST 1995

In article <1995Nov15.110758 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk>, nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk writes:
>Yes, what is the "usual way" to pour a sequencing gel. We have the simplest
>method of all, judging by what I've read so far; tape the sides and bottom,
>clamp the sides with bulldog clips, mix the gel in a conical flask and just
>tip it in! Well, not quite 'just tip'; you hold the plates by the bottom
>corner with one hand and tuck the opposite corner into your armpit, hold it at
>about 45 degrees and sloping away from you and pour slowly into one corner.
>The mix flows down one edge, across the bottom and rises up to fill the gel,
>any bubbles flow along this path and quickly rise to the top and burst. Then
>just gently lay it down and pop the combs in at the top. And you need nice,
>clean plates, goes without saying. Ours are scrubbed with detergent, rinsed,
>wiped thoroughly with alcohol and dried.
>
>I guess it's a bit hard to describe without seeing it; point is, there's a lot
>of fancy bits and pieces in molecular biology that noone actually needs.
>
>Neil
>
>nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk

An easier method is to lay the plates flat on a support such as an
empty tip rack.  The plates are held together by just two bulldog
clips, and no tape.  Make sure the plates are horizontal, pour the
acrylamide in at the comb end and let the plates fill by capillary
action.  If a bubble starts to form, just tap the plate just above
the forming bubble, but this is unneccessay if the plates are clean.

                 Simon Futers (futers at biovax.leeds.ac.uk)