Gradient block thermocycler

Richard A. Jefferson raj at cambia.org.au
Wed Nov 15 02:02:25 EST 1995

>In message <BELZEN.15.815662365 at hema.fgg.eur.nl> - BELZEN at hema.fgg.eur.nl (N. v
>an Belzen @ HEMA) writes:

>> Hi netters,
>>
>> I consider buying a thermocycler with a gradient block. Any positive
>> or negative experiences out there? The only cycler I know of with this
>> option is the Stratagene Robocycler; are there other brands available?
>>
>> Nico van Belzen (belzen at hema.fgg.eur.nl)

>Dear Nico,

>We recently bought a gradient Robocycler and have had nothing but great
>results out of it.  I wouldn't trade it or give it back for anything.  We
>have optimised primers in one run, cloned the products, worked out AFLP
>genotyping procedures and have people using it to optimise differential
>display.  Note that I have no affiliation with Stratagene, in fact I think
>they charge WAY too much for their products, but in this case, you get what
>you pay for.

>Cheers,

>Dave

Hi folks,  Just a touch of polemic from down under.  Corbett Research, a
progressive small firm in Sydney (with which I'm not affiliated) makes
brilliant thermocyclers of ALL types.  There is a fantastic new gradient
cycler that uses the 96-well format, has a small footprint and is genuinely
superb...I saw the prototype at their factory a few weeks back and was very
impressed.   I suspect the price (Attn: Dave and
Stratagene-Impoverished-Scientists) will be very low in comparison to other
units.

They also make extraordinary capillary machines - no Peltiers, just precise,
fast cycling.   They're friendly and will deal direct, I think.

Many labs here in Australia swear by (not at) them; one of Oz' best kept
secrets.

Their address is:

Mr John Corbett, Snr
President
Corbett Research
14 Hilly Street
Mortlake  NSW  2137
Australia
Tel: + 61 02  736 1357
Fax: +  61  02   736 1364

Highly recommended by folks at CSIRO, ANU, CAMBIA, and a host of Universities
in Australia.

Cheers

Richard A. Jefferson
Executive Director
CAMBIA
Center for the Application of Molecular Biology to International Agriculture
GPO Box 3200
Canberra ACT 2601,    Australia
tel (office):     +61 6 246 5302     tel (lab):       +61 6 246 5308
fax (office):    +61 6 246 5303     tel (home)    +61 6 235 9189
Internet:	raj at cambia.org.au