Gradient block thermocycler

Richard A. Jefferson raj at
Wed Nov 15 02:02:25 EST 1995

>In message <BELZEN.15.815662365 at> - BELZEN at (N. v
>an Belzen @ HEMA) writes:

>> Hi netters,
>> I consider buying a thermocycler with a gradient block. Any positive
>> or negative experiences out there? The only cycler I know of with this
>> option is the Stratagene Robocycler; are there other brands available?
>> Nico van Belzen (belzen at

>Dear Nico,

>We recently bought a gradient Robocycler and have had nothing but great
>results out of it.  I wouldn't trade it or give it back for anything.  We
>have optimised primers in one run, cloned the products, worked out AFLP
>genotyping procedures and have people using it to optimise differential
>display.  Note that I have no affiliation with Stratagene, in fact I think
>they charge WAY too much for their products, but in this case, you get what
>you pay for.

Hi folks,  Just a touch of polemic from down under.  Corbett Research, a
progressive small firm in Sydney (with which I'm not affiliated) makes
brilliant thermocyclers of ALL types.  There is a fantastic new gradient
cycler that uses the 96-well format, has a small footprint and is genuinely
superb...I saw the prototype at their factory a few weeks back and was very
impressed.   I suspect the price (Attn: Dave and
Stratagene-Impoverished-Scientists) will be very low in comparison to other

They also make extraordinary capillary machines - no Peltiers, just precise,
fast cycling.   They're friendly and will deal direct, I think.

Many labs here in Australia swear by (not at) them; one of Oz' best kept

Their address is:

Mr John Corbett, Snr
Corbett Research
14 Hilly Street
Mortlake  NSW  2137
Tel: + 61 02  736 1357
Fax: +  61  02   736 1364

Highly recommended by folks at CSIRO, ANU, CAMBIA, and a host of Universities
in Australia.

Richard A. Jefferson
Executive Director
Center for the Application of Molecular Biology to International Agriculture
GPO Box 3200
Canberra ACT 2601,    Australia
tel (office):     +61 6 246 5302     tel (lab):       +61 6 246 5308
fax (office):    +61 6 246 5303     tel (home)    +61 6 235 9189
Internet:	raj at