IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP

intracellular pH

IanDoc iandoc at aol.com
Wed Nov 15 11:06:05 EST 1995

Generally the best way is to use a fluorescent dye, assuming you have the
capability.  BCECF (bis-Carboxyethylcarboxyfluorescein, if memory serves)
is probably one of the most widely used for this purpose.  You can also
use any of a variety of other fluoresceins.

Yeast is trickier as they have a tendency to stuff the cell permeant forms
of these dyes into their vacuoles.  I'm sure there are ways around this.

Try contacting one of the companies that specializes in Fluorescent

More information about the Methods mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net