pouring sequencing gels

nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 06:07:58 EST 1995

Yes, what is the "usual way" to pour a sequencing gel. We have the simplest
method of all, judging by what I've read so far; tape the sides and bottom,
clamp the sides with bulldog clips, mix the gel in a conical flask and just
tip it in! Well, not quite 'just tip'; you hold the plates by the bottom
corner with one hand and tuck the opposite corner into your armpit, hold it at
about 45 degrees and sloping away from you and pour slowly into one corner.
The mix flows down one edge, across the bottom and rises up to fill the gel,
any bubbles flow along this path and quickly rise to the top and burst. Then
just gently lay it down and pop the combs in at the top. And you need nice,
clean plates, goes without saying. Ours are scrubbed with detergent, rinsed,
wiped thoroughly with alcohol and dried.

I guess it's a bit hard to describe without seeing it; point is, there's a lot
of fancy bits and pieces in molecular biology that noone actually needs.

Neil

nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk