Stephen R. Lasky Stephen_Lasky at
Thu Nov 16 08:54:22 EST 1995

In article <48dfah$llt at>, "Bruce C. Kone, M.D."
<bkone at> wrote:

> Can someone tell me how they rate the utility of MacVector, where to
> purchase it, and if there are any better Mac-based products for sequence
> analysis, alignments, consensus binding site recognition, etc.?  Thanks.

We have been using MacVector since it came out and have been happy with
it.  It does a poor job of putting together sequencing projects but there
is a nice standalone program from IBI called assemblyAlign that does a
nice job with that end of things.  MacVector does the other things that
you want to do as well as anything else I have used.  It's primer
designing modules also work well.

We got MacVector through IBI, which I am  not associated with.  It come
with a hardware protection device, so you will have to use it on only one
computer unless you can arrange for additional devices.

Hope that helps.

Stephen R. Lasky Ph.D.
Section of Experimental Therapeutics
Roger Williams Medical Center
Providence, RI 02908
Phone: 401-456-5672      Fax: 401-456-6569
e:mail: Stephen_Lasky at