Q: Klett-Unit???

neale at mbcf.stjude.org neale at mbcf.stjude.org
Wed Nov 15 13:14:49 EST 1995

I did not see the original posting. so forgive the reply to a reply.

When I was in grad school we used the Klett "spectrophotometer". It measured
light scatter at different wavelengths and was used to follow the growth of
microbial cultures eg bacterial (or mycoplasma in my case).  You grew your
culture in a side arm flask and then inserted the side arm into the Klett
machine to take a reading. That way you could follow the growth of your culture
without having to open the flask or lose culture volume.

As I remember, the unit was calibrated to be 500 Klett units per 1 O.D.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Geoff