sequencing gels

Glen Gaughan gaughan at bms.com
Fri Nov 17 13:58:34 EST 1995

In article <1995Nov15.163448 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk>, tflanigan at molbiol.ox.ac.uk

tflanigan at molbiol.ox.ac.uk writes:
>  RE: sequencing gels
>  I hope someone can help!  We silanise one plate of the sequencing apparatus
>  with sigmacote and it's ben working well.  We now seem to have what
appears to
>  be a build-up of silane on this plate and the gel seems to be sticking to it.
>  We use decon as the detergent to clean the apparatus and use sigmacote
>  everytime we pour a gel.  Is this problem silane or something else?  If
it is
>  silane, can anyone suggest a better detergent than decon? Is it
possible that
>  we're using the sigmacote TOO OFTEN??!!
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>  Tom       tflanigan at molbiol.ox.ac.uk

Build-up can be remove w base (e.g. soak in 0.5 M NaOH a few hrs) The descibed
problem can also occur as a result of 'migration' of the silane to the opposing
plate (2 slippery plates = gel can't decide who to stick to). Minimize amnts
of silanizing agent; don't leave plates in apposition longer than nec; base wash
your plates often.