Q: Klett-Unit???

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Thu Nov 16 18:06:53 EST 1995

On 15 Nov 1995 neale at mbcf.stjude.org wrote:

> I did not see the original posting. so forgive the reply to a reply.
>
> When I was in grad school we used the Klett "spectrophotometer". It measured
> light scatter at different wavelengths and was used to follow the growth of
> microbial cultures eg bacterial (or mycoplasma in my case).  You grew your
> culture in a side arm flask and then inserted the side arm into the Klett
> machine to take a reading. That way you could follow the growth of your culture
> without having to open the flask or lose culture volume.
>
> As I remember, the unit was calibrated to be 500 Klett units per 1 O.D.

That could be true if you are measuring REAL optical density. But in a
culture, you are not measuring optical density, so that conversion is not
valid.

	Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             |  La cita ha sido
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |
Department of Human Genetics		     |  retirada por respeto
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  a la propiedad
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  intelectual.
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |