MacVector

Anton Scott Goustin asg at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Sun Nov 19 15:54:41 EST 1995

"Bruce C. Kone, M.D." <bkone at heart.med.uth.tmc.edu> wrote:
>Can someone tell me how they rate the utility of MacVector, where to
>purchase it, and if there are any better Mac-based products for sequence
>analysis, alignments, consensus binding site recognition, etc.?  Thanks.

I have used PC/Gene (a real dog), LaserGene, MacVector and Sequencher.
My all-around workhorse is MacVector.  It's pricey (>$2k), but it's
worth it for me.  I do subcloning experiments all the time using Mac
Vector first (before asking the students to go to the wet bench) to
make sure that every nucleotide is in place, ORFs are correct, restric-
tion sites are the way I want them, predict PCR products, predict re-
striction map fragments, etc.  I own two EvE Init keys (the copyright
protection) so I can run MacVector (currently v 4.5.2) in lab and office.  Extra key was under $300.  4.5.2 has an absolutely fantastic
improvement, a feature which allows me to search and download nucleic
acid sequence and aa sequence files from NCBI, fresh as you can get.
The best part is:  the files are correctly formatted for MacVector's
direct use directly after downloading.  Saves a helluva lot of time
for the PI.
I also own Sequencher 2.0, from GeneCodes.  I use this program for
sequencing projects and multiple alignments (I sequence HIV-1 env),
because the output is so nice and straigtforward.  I understand that
3.0 is even faster (on the PowerPC).
You can purchase MacVector and extra Eve INIT keys from Eastman Kodak
imaging technologies.  They have an 800 phone number in New Haven, CT.
LaserGene is a series of unlinked programs, such as MegAlign.  The
advantage is that you can open up just the programs you need.  The
disadvantage is that you must find and open up each subprogram each
time you wish to move to a different kind of analysis.  It ain't cheap.
I don't work for Eastman Kodak or own stock in them.  (Except in-
directly, perhaps, if TIAA-CREF does.)