Amicon tangential flow Q.

Phil Terman Gambler at cts.com
Mon Nov 20 21:43:02 EST 1995

brauns at rpi.edu (Sarah Tamara Braun) wrote:
>Does anyone out there happen to concentrate seawater
>using Amicon's hollow fiber tangential flow system?
>
>If so, I use it to concentrate picoplankton (.2-200um)
>from 20L of seawater.  Yet the system doesn't work, the cells
>seem to stick in the column, and
>when we use TE to elute, we get only 66% recovery.
>
>Any suggestions? I tried talking to Amicon, and all they
>could suggest was coating the column with BSA, which
>I intend to try.

Sorry I have never used the Amicon device but I use the Pellicon System by millipore.  It works well for me....
....if you know someone wiht a Pellicon
then you should borrow it and try using a 0.1 Durapore membrane for this procedure...Reason being is that this membrane has
an incredibly low protein binding characteristic...lowest i've ever seen..
I do have a couple questions for you though....what membrane are you currently using, 2. are you prefiltering prior to concentrating
3. what would you like your final volume to be.....