Pfu DNA polymerase

Jody K. Hirsh jkh141 at
Mon Nov 20 16:53:43 EST 1995

In article <1995Nov16.144708.1 at>, elebae at
>Hi there!
>Could somebody give me some advice concerning the Stratagene Pfu
>polymerase(recombinant version)? I have tried quite many different PCR
>conditions, but still I don't get ANY product at all, not even non-specific!
>I know all my other reagents are O.K, because I get really good products
>the DYNAZYME polymerase. I have tried different concentrations of
>different temperatures, different amounts of template, but nothing seems
>help. I would really appreciate some tips, because the enzyme is too
>expensive to just  make tens of reactions/trials...I would also be
>in hearing about the accuracy of this enzyme.
>Thanks a lot!
Dear Elena:
Not only do you need to use the buffer that comes with the Pfu, but you
need to extend the time for DNA synthesis (Pfu is less processive than
Taq) AND also lower the annealing temperature about 5 degrees or so
because of the salt conc. difference between the one you probably
calculated using Taq's conditions. I had the same problem, and when I
made these changes (suggested by the Stratagene Tech Rep--call them!!!),
It worked!

Jody K. Hirsh
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL.   USA
jkh141 at