Biorad Transblot Semi-Dry Transfer Cell

Stephen P. Driska PhD driska at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Mon Nov 20 18:26:37 EST 1995

regina barnett (wonderwench at BMB-FS1.BIOCHEM.OKSTATE.EDU) wrote:
:   Inquiry into possible solution(s) for cleaning problems with equipment.
: While using Biorad's Trans-Blot SD Semi-Dry Electrophoretic Transfer Cell -
: (catalog # 170-3940), I've run into a spot.  The stainless steel cathode is
: forming a build up of precipitate which I assume is from the transfer
: buffer(s).  The cathode is cleansed with soft Kim-wipes and nanopure water,
: immediately upon end of transfer while it is still moist.  The buffer(s)
: have consisted of Glycine, Tris, Methanol, Water & +/- AHA.  The Biorad
: people say that they have never heard complaint of this problem, and
: suggested soaking filter papers with water and placing on the areas in
: question for ~ 3 hours.  This seems to have gotten me nowhere.  Any
: suggestions??  Any others out there with similar problems with the same
: unit??  Thanks!

	What's "AHA" in the buffer?  We use the same unit and often have
SDS in the transfers.  The lower plate that you pile the stack on often
gets a mark around the edges of the stack.  Being compulsive, we've often
cleaned this off with either the transfer buffer, or our liquid detergent
(Iso Clean) and rinsed with nanopure water.  We are probably chancing more
damage by cleaning it off than if we just rinsed it, but hey, when you're
compulsive, you're compulsive and you just do stuff like that.
	As I remember, kimwipes were used to wash it off.  Don't remember
which electrode plate is which (one s.s., the other Pt), but probably the
Pt plate is more fragile.  Please post your replies...
		Good luck, Steve.

--
Steve Driska, Physiology Department, Temple University Medical School
Philadelphia, PA 19140 USA (215) 707-3283
driska at astro.ocis.temple.edu
If I could think of something witty and clever to say, it would go right