2 genes on one plasmid

Richard Friedman friedmrd at post.drexel.edu
Fri Nov 17 08:45:18 EST 1995

In article <489j1s$grj at saba.info.ucla.edu>, Sami Kohan <skohan at ucla.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to build a vector with two genes and was going to use the same
> promoter twice. However I was told that it would cause recomibinations
> and otherwise mess up my experiment, however if the promoters are only
> 50bp it seems to my unexpert opinion to be too small of a homology to
> cause recombination. Any one have any experience with this?

I know of a few experiments where a plasmid, carrying two nearly identical
genes was constructed.
In my research I worked with a plasmid which carried two alleles of the
alcohol dehydrogenase gene from Drosophila melanogaster. The genes were
nearly identical. The one thing I can tell you is that when the plasmids
were introduced into Drosophila embryos and assayed for ADH activity in
3rd instar larvae, I found that the two genes interacted resulting in a
coordinated level of expression. This was observed ONLY when the plasmids
remained episomal. When the genes were integrated into the Drosophila
genome, the interaction was disrupted.

Good luck

Friedmrd at post.drexel.edu or rfriedma at astro.temple.edu
* "This Genie gig has it's ups and        `(:>)~\         *
* downs -- PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER,              \     /  *
* itty-bitty living space."                       \___/   *