HCV RNA from serum

SCHNEE at SCHNEE at
Tue Nov 21 05:34:23 EST 1995

Hi,
we extracted RNA from whole human blood using a commercialy available reagent
(Tri-BD (we think this is guanidiumthiocyanate and acidic phenol) from Molecular
Research Center) and subjected this RNA to HCV specific RT-PCR. The results
were fine. When we used this extraction method with serum from the same blood
sample, we noticed in repeated experiments a loss of sensitivity in detecting
HCV RNA. At the moment, we don't have any explanation for this problem.
Does anyone else know this problem or has anyone a solution for it?
Can anyone recommend another, maybe better extraction procedure for viral RNA
from serum?
Thanks, Christian Schneeberger (University Hospital Vienna, FAX +43-1-40400-7832)