pZerO vector from INVITROGEN

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Tue Nov 21 22:36:39 EST 1995

In article <malexeyev-2111952010510001 at 128.249.210.32>,
malexeyev at biost1.thi.tmc.edu says...

>Bernard,
>Dna-gyrase is required for DNA replication, so all common laboratory
>E.coli strains should have it. gyrA96 mutation, if I am not mistaken, does
>not eliminate gyrase protein, but makes it relatively insensitive to
>inhibition by nalidixic acid...

Ahem!  I *didn't* say that strains were gyr- for that very reason.  I
simply said that they didn't have the appropriate gyr phenotype.

>Regarding previous discussion that I missed: is that true tha gyrA96
>mutation makes DNA gyrase less succeptible to inhibition by ccd?
>
>M. Alexeyev

This is what I have been led to believe.  However, I have no personal
experience and am ready to be corrected on this point.  Also, just to
confirm, Invitrogen appears to supply TOP10F' with pZerO-1 and this
strain does not have a gyrase mutation listed.
	There are interesting implications for confirming/denying
the susceptibility of gyrA96 strains as Invitrogen say that it is
very difficult to grow the plasmid without an insert (especially in
strains without LacIq).  If JM109/XL-1 Blue etc. are less sensitive
they would make good hosts for propagation of pZerO-1, if not for
the positive selection.
		Bernard

Disclaimer: I may not know what I am talking about.  I am an occasional
            customer of Invitrogen, but that's all.

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.