luciferase gene activity

Ferenc Marincs agpfxm at pnv.palm.cri.nz
Sun Nov 19 17:42:43 EST 1995

In article <DHz40I.4HH at hkuxb.hku.hk>, tsang chiu suet margaret
<csmtsang at hkusua.hku.hk> wrote:

> HI Netters,
> we are trying to clone a promoter fragment into promega'a
> pGL3 luciferase reporter. Is anyone know whether the
> luciferase will still be active if a fusion enzyme is
> formed? ie, If there is appro. 20 amino acid fuse with the
> lucifase in  the 5' end?
> We know that it would not harm B-galactosidase but for
> luciferase we are not sure.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Ben Ko
> H8913564 at hkucc.hku.hk

Hi Ben,

A have made translational fusions with the firefly luciferase gene. Upto 8
extra aa the fused protein retained its activity. So I think you can fuse
some aa to the lucifarese, 20 can be OK.

Cheers, Frank

Ferenc Marincs
AgResearch, Private Bag 11008, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Phone: +64-6-356 8019, Fax: +64-6-351 8032
E-mail: agpfxm at pnv.palm.cri.nz