PCR machines

Carlyn S. Buckler ckeith at biosci.mbp.missouri.edu
Tue Nov 21 15:47:28 EST 1995

The MJ Research is a slick machine!  We tried 6 different companies' PCR
machines before we bought.  We did, however, wind up with a two Perkin
Elmer 2400s, primarily based on price - $7000 for the MJ DNA Machine,
about $4000 for the Perkin Elmer.  Granted, I'm not at all wild about
dealing with Perkin Elmer, have had problems in the past with the people
in the company, not the equipment.  The problem we saw with the MJ was
that the integrity of the heating element is not nearly as good as the
P.E., or the Coy (which was about the same price, but faster than the P.E.
- our P.I. just had a taboo about Coy - ?who knows...).  The pelletier
system is wonderful, no problems there.  Much faster and more reliable.
P.E., and Coy use this, too. It depends on what you're going to be doing
with your machine; I have a friend at UC Davis who does a great deal of
in-situ PCR, they have an MJ DNA Machine, and love it.  They haven't had
for very long (<1yr.) however; I'd like to see if they still love it in
another year. Let me know if there is anything else we can tell you. I
hope this helps.  Good luck.

In article <slcritte-1411951437510001 at worm4.bocklabs.wisc.edu>,
slcritte at facstaff.wisc.edu (Sarah Crittenden) wrote:

> Has anyone used the PTC200 from MJ Research. Is it worth all the money?
> How do people like the pelletier system compared to, say, Perkin Elmer
machines?

> I would appreciate answers to my email, since I check the bionet only
> infrequently: smango at macc.wisc.edu
>
> Thanks, susan
>
> --
> Sarah Crittenden