Cross linking of DNA to membranes

Carlyn S. Buckler ckeith at biosci.mbp.missouri.edu
Tue Nov 21 15:24:51 EST 1995

Wohlwill) wrote:

> If you start using positively charged nylon you do not need to do anything
> with it except transfer DNA in alkaline conditions - after air-drying it
> would be immobilized.
> REgards,
> Vladmeister
>
> --

We use both Magna charge and Hydra bond here, and although it is said that
because of the nature of the membrane, no UV cross linking is necessary, I
usually throw it in the linker just to be safe.  I know that there are
folks in the lab who do not, and report no adverse effects.  According to
the manufacturer, you should have to nothing outside of letting the blot
dry (i.e., no standing pools of water) after transfer.

best-0-luck,

Carlyn S. Buckler
Dept of Bio. Sci.
105 Tucker Hall