Evolution & the 2nd law?

DOUGLAS ROBINSON douglas_robinson at FMC.COM
Wed Nov 22 09:04:59 EST 1995

This is a Mime message, which your current mail reader
may not understand. Parts of the message will appear as
text. To process the remainder, you will need to use a Mime
compatible mail reader. Contact your vendor for details.

--IMA.Boundary.839840718

To: methods-and-reagents at net.bio.net
From: Mark Fry <wmfry at morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Subject: Evolution & the 2nd law?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 00:56:58 -0330

--IMA.Boundary.839840718

     Curious.  If this is true, then how does your friend explain star,
     solar system and galaxy formation?  Aren't these also more ordered?  I
     think the fallacy of this argument is that entropy describes the
     universe as a whole, not discrete components.  More order can occur in
     certain areas, but organization on the whole, decreases.

     Doug Robinson
     FMC BioProducts

Author:  Mark Fry <wmfry at morgan.ucs.mun.ca> at Internet
Date:    11/22/95 12:56 AM

The other day a physicist friend of mine said that he does not believe
the theory of evolution, based on the laws of physics.  His argument went
something like this:

The theory of evolution, as it is generally presented, states that
billions of years ago, some proto-organism arose from the primevil ooze.
It presumably had some genetic material, encoding but a few "genes".
Since then, more complex organisms have "arisin":  each of these more
complex organisms contains more information in its genetic code.  This
represents an accumulation of information and energy, or a tendancy towards
more order in the universe.  This is in direcyt conflict with the second
law of thermodynamics that states "the entropy of the universe increases
in all natural processes".

Even if the case of natural selection is considered (the differential
survival and REPRODUCTION of those individuals with greater fitness) we
still have an increase in proportion of genes that optimize survial in a
given environment.  This again represents a tendancy towards more order.

Extinction is consistant with the second law.

His argument is not that of a crackpot, but seems to be based in the laws
of physics.  I'm not sure if the basis of his argument (ie information =
energy) is strong enough to support his argument.

I know this a little out of the scope of this group, but I know that most
of you are knowledgable about molecular evolution.  I would like to know
what others think of this argument.

"What does a physicist know anyway?"  ;)

Mark Fry                                    ribit    @..@
4th floor BMS Fac of Med.                        \  (----)
Memorial University of NFLD                        ( >**< )
A1B 3V6                                           ^^^""""^^^
wmfry at plato.ucs.mun.ca                             (Xenopus)

--IMA.Boundary.839840718--