Iodogen

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. haviland at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Nov 22 16:57:42 EST 1995

On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Jeney Csaba wrote:

> Do anybody have idea about, that iodogen is stable in chloroform
> for a longer period of time (year or so)?
> It is expensive so I am worry about it.

Jeney:

I've had very favorable experiences with Iodogen and will rarely use
anything else.  I've always made it up fresh  each time I've prepared
iodination tubes (2ug iodogen for protein and 50ug tubes for cells).  I
prepare as many as 15 tubes each in one batch.  However, I've never tried
to store the CLFM stock of iodogen past a day due to significant
evaporation which then changes the concentration of iodogen.  I think the
tubes would keep better than would the soluble iodogen.  Though water
insoluble, water (solution, humiditiy) will degrade powdered iodogen.
Thus we usually need to replace the reagent about every 14 months or when
a noticable decrease in iodination efficiency is observed.

Hope this helps,
David
+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med.   A.K.A : The Compiler                 +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116     ICBM-Net : Just hit St. Louis        +
+  400 S. Kingshighway               &-6  <- User is Brain Dead...        +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              FAX: 314-454-2476                    +
+  (314) 454-6076                                                         +
+                 Will clone and sequence genes for food.                 +