Agarose-DNA purification

Ted Michelini tedm at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Nov 24 01:58:38 EST 1995

Millipore ultra free MC spin filters work well for DNA recovery from
gels. I'm sure the newer Amicon ones do too, although I haven't used
them. One advantage to the Millipore ones is that they can take a freeze
thaw cycle to improve yield (tough membrane) and can be spun at max G's
in a microfuge, although yields are better if you have a lower speed
setting. There is a fairly nice write up of this procedure in the
Millipore Web site. I am currently poor, however, and am using a bit of
polyester aquarium filter fluff in a 0.6ml tube with a 21G needle hole
in the bottom. I sit this in a 1.7ml tube and spin in a table top
~4000rpm for 15min. I do a freeze thaw and crush the gel, as well as
wash with warm TE. This works fine and is very fast/cheap.

regards
Ted Michelini
Institute of Molecular Biology
University of Oregon