Gel Analysis Software

Christopher Blencowe cbb at
Fri Nov 24 05:31:27 EST 1995

Although I do not run such a system, I recommend following PD/SW
software for this:
MS-WIN: counter.exe

MAC: NIH-Image

Unix: Don't know (anyone?)

The URL are local mirrors.

Hope this helps,

JG. Head (bijgh at wrote:
: Hi,

: We have a gel imaging system whish we use for photographing SDS and
: agarose gels, and it can store the image of the gel in a variety of
: formats on disk (TIFF, GIF, etc).  Does anybody know of any software,
: public domain or otherwise, that we could use to analyse the images.  I
: know you can get more sophisticated gel imagers that will calculate
: molecular masses and intensities of bands, but is there any software
: which will run on one of our ordinary computers (ie Unix, PC or Mac)?

: Thank's a lot (in advance),

: Jared

: --
: Jared Head     at the Department of Biochemistry, University of Bristol