35S Hazards

Peter Thorén peter.thoren at genetik.uu.se
Fri Nov 24 05:42:27 EST 1995

Hi netters,

I asume that everyone now knows the problems associated  with using 35S
nucleotides in PCR reactions. No one likes to breath radioactive fuems so we
have now shifted to 33P instead. The radioactive fumes are supposed to be
generated when 35S is heated, like in a PCR reaction. In our lab we are now
discussing if there could be other things then PCR that might be a problem.
For example in sequencing one usually heats the samples prior to loading and
the gel is also heated whilst running. Might those steps be a potential hazard
as well? Does anyone have experience or ideas concerning this important hazard
problem?

33P is supposed to be more stable then 35S. Is ther anyone that is familiar
with the chemical properties of 33P that can confirm this?

Best wishes,

Peter Thorén
Dept. of Genetics, Uppsala University
Box 7003; S-750 07 Uppsala; Sweden