Cloning receptor genes using the ligand?

Anton Scott Goustin asg at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Sun Nov 26 15:39:35 EST 1995

bbraun at ucla.edu wrote:
>>The yeast system is a no-no, I fear, since it will not work with surface
>>membrane proteins, or ligands that are not proteins.

I think Benjamin Braun is correct:  the yeast two-hybrid system is not
the way to go to find the receptor for an known ligand.  I really do
not think there are 'easy' paths to this cloning.  I only think of the
difficulty in cloning the TGFbeta receptor type II (1991) many years
after the ligand (TGFbeta) was purified (1984) and cloned (1985).  Phil
Leder's group at Harvard Med succeeded in doing the other task:  cloning
the ligand (Steel factor) for the known receptor (c-kit); their paper
is published in Cell in 1990.  Their methodology can be generalized.