sequencing gels

Edward Wang ez022056 at dale.ucdavis.edu
Sun Nov 26 03:39:16 EST 1995

Glen Gaughan (gaughan at bms.com) wrote:
: In article <1995Nov15.163448 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk>, tflanigan at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
: wrote:

: > In article <1995Nov15.162935 at molbiol.ox.ac.uk>,
: tflanigan at molbiol.ox.ac.uk writes:
: >  RE: sequencing gels
: >  I hope someone can help!  We silanise one plate of the sequencing apparatus
: >  with sigmacote and it's ben working well.  We now seem to have what
: appears to
: >  be a build-up of silane on this plate and the gel seems to be sticking to it.
: >  We use decon as the detergent to clean the apparatus and use sigmacote
: >  everytime we pour a gel.  Is this problem silane or something else?  If
: it is
: >  silane, can anyone suggest a better detergent than decon? Is it
: possible that
: >  we're using the sigmacote TOO OFTEN??!!
: >  Thanks in advance,
: >
: >  Tom       tflanigan at molbiol.ox.ac.uk

This is kinda off base, but I noticed you are using a sigmacote.  The
product is probaby very good (I've never used it personally), but you
could achieve the same result by using a product called "rain-x" or
something of the equivalent that acts as a water repellent, which could be
purchased at any auto supply
store, at a fraction of the cost.  Just follow the direction on the
bottle, and you could be saving lots of $$$.
--
Edward H. Wang                 *