Plasmid DNA prep using organic solvents

David Hallowell st93q84w at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Thu Nov 23 15:26:41 EST 1995

There was an article by Kurien and Scofield detailing a method for
small-scale preparation of plasmid DNA form E. coli using organic
solvents (specifically, EtOH and phenol-CHCl3-IAA).

They say that this DNA is good enough for restriction digest (which it is
... I've tested this myself) but I'm curious if anyone has tried this for
use in ligation or transformation.

Does anyone have any good hints regarding the classical alkaline lysis
protocols ... things that are important to do and things that don't make
a difference ... and any comments on the protocol mentioned above?

E-mail is prefered to posts as I don't frequently check the news groups.

Thanks,

Dave Hallowell