Cloning receptor genes using the ligand?

N.P.Dantuma at N.P.Dantuma at
Mon Nov 27 11:06:50 EST 1995

In article <49079m$rfb at> rover at (Rover) writes:
>From: rover at (Rover)
>Subject: Cloning receptor genes using the ligand?
>Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 01:02:54 GMT

>        We have heard in the wind  that there is a method somewhere for
>cloning receptor genes using the ligand or ligand information. If
>anyone has heard of this or knows of a reference please let me know.

If this receptor is a cell-surface receptor you can use the panning method.
This method is described in (for example) EMBO 11: 3313-3316. I think that
the yeast two hybrid system is only useful if the receptor is a cytoplasmic
receptor. As mentioned in other replies I would also like to stress that the
characterization of the binding is very essential. The panning method have
been used for the cloning of several receptors and is, I think, less
laborious then tagging receptor-expressing cells with radioligand.

Nico Dantuma