DNA from blood

ROGER GREEN,MEDICINE,ST.JOHN'S,NF,CAN roger at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Mon Nov 27 07:36:40 EST 1995

In article <vvsvetlov-2111950943340001 at tcooper2.utmem.edu>, vvsvetlov at utmem1.utmem.edu (killer yeast) writes:
> In article <1995Nov21.093750.1 at leif>, roger at kean.ucs.mun.ca (ROGER
> GREEN,MEDICINE,ST.JOHN'S,NF,CAN) wrote:
>
> Skipped
>
> If isolation of high molecular weight DNA is of importance I suggest using
> Proteinase K instead of Pronase E. The latter preparation are often
> contaminated by nucleases. PK from Merck in my experience (I ran samples
> of both enzymes from several vendors) worked the best overall.

> Vladmeister

	Use of "raw" pronase coulsd be a problem in theory. The stock pronase
solution is "self-digested" before use. This is done by incubating it at 37
degrees for 2 hours to destroy nucleases. If this is done we find no
difference between using ponase and proteinase K, except for the cost.
Pronase is much cheaper per unit of activity.

Roger C. Green,	Faculty of Medicine               Phone: (709)737-6884
Memorial University , St. John's, Newfoundland    FAX  : (709)737-7010