SYBR Green I Dye for agarose gel eletroph. of DNA?

Anderas Becker becker at ps1515.chemie.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 27 04:39:40 EST 1995

>  I am using a dye named SYBR Green I with no good results.
>  I have heard that this dye make a better contrast in the UV light and
>then better sensitivity in nucleic acids agarose gel electroforresis  but
>a have amorphus (abnormal morphology) of the bands.
>  I do the electroforetic run at:  100volt/300mA/50W and 1.2 Sigma
>agarose for a PCR product of 207 bp.  Using TBE 0.5X
>  I use 1.5 microliter of green per 100ml of agarose
>
>This conditions have work for a long time using Etidium bromide but not
>with this dye.
>The test using higher quantitiest increase the problem

I use 1xTBE. Higher concentrations of TBE improve my result.
I achieved unusual bands when the SYBR Green was to old or stored at
the wrong temperature. It was important to use aliquots of the solution,
because you have to unfreeze and freeze it to often.

If you have enough money I would suggest to buy a new one.

Andreas

Andreas Becker
Arbeitskreis Prof. Kadenbach, FB Chemie/Biochemie, Hans-
Meerwein-Strasse, Philipps-Universitaet, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Phone: privat +49 6421 47304  Labor +49 6421 28 -5721 Fax -2191
eMail: BECKER at ps1515.Chemie.Uni-Marburg.De
WWW  : http://www.chemie.uni-marburg.de/~becker