Pyrococcus DNA polymerase discussion...

rhubner at molbiol.ox.ac.uk rhubner at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 27 16:26:43 EST 1995

Hi there you all  ;-)

 somebody mentionned to me that Pyrococcus "woesei" is the same organism than
Pyrococcus furiosus... hence, the polymerases isolated from those beasts are
likely to be identical, or nearly so... There are apparently small strain
variations between some Pyrococcus "furiosus" isolates, i.e., those isolated
from geographically separated deep sea vents...

 Wouldn't it be nice to have a multiple seq alignment handy, eh?, before
"evaluating" bench performance with regards to experimental 'noise' after
having bought all those expensive goodies?

 I just wonder how different your results are likely to be with Pyrococcus DNA
pols from each of the four different providers I know of on same template/
primer combination and exchanging buffers etc. between "brands"...

 BTW, there is one DNA pol advertized (for long-range PCR) that seems to have
proofreading capabilities while retaining processivity (other long-range PCR
systems are 2-pol mixes); one enzyme that enables long products to be
synthetized with sufficient yield and (Hi?)fi...

 Have fun!
 Roland