pedigrees-linear text representation

warren lamboy warren_lamboy at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 27 01:07:21 EST 1995

I am trying to determine if there are any established conventions for writing
pedigrees using only text (no "tree" drawing methods).  The situation I am
dealing with happens to be in plants, and is as follows.  By convention
the seed (female) parent is usually written first and the pollen (male)
parent is written second, so that is not part of my question.  Suppose we
have the following situation ('x' represents the crossing of two parents):

we cross plant A with plant B:  this is written as   (A x B)
we cross plant C with plant D:  this is written as   (C x D)
Then we cross the result of (A x B) with another plant E.
I would write this as {(A x B) x E}.  Then we cross this result with the
result of (C x D).  This I would write as  [{(A x B) x E} x (C x D)].

the problem I am facing is that I am reviewing a manuscript where the
authors simply write things such as [(A x B) x E x (C x D)], without
further specification.  This seems ambiguous to me, unless some
conventions are adopted about the order the crosses are made (say, e.g.,
assumed from left to right).

Are there any standard conventions about implied order of crosses if the
pedigree is written as in the 5th line above?  Thanks for your help with
this.

Warren

wfl1 at cornell.edu