EtOH ppt of DNA in Urea

Duke Groebe drg at prophet.pharm.pitt.edu
Tue Nov 28 15:07:24 EST 1995

I'm attempting to precipitate short DNA oligos (68-mer) from a solution
containing 7 M urea.  I added glycogen to 30 ug/ml, Na acetate to 0.3 M,
and 3 volumes of ethanol.  I got a goopy clear ppt upon centrifugation and
washing that I suspect is residual urea.  A review of relevant literature
was not very helpful.  Any suggestions/insights that might help me
resolve/avoid this situation would be greatly appreciated.  Respond here or
by e-mail (drg at prophet.pharm.pitt.edu).

Thanks,

Duke

The opinions expressed here are my own.  MY very own and NOBODY else's!  I
THOUGHT OF THEM FIRST, HA HA, AND YOU DIDN'T!!  SEE!?  There's my name up
there!  And the date - Ooohh, the DATE!  That's important!  HEE HEE, I'M
GONNA BE RICH!  DO YOU HEAR ME!?  RICH!!  HA HA!!  They're mine...heh, heh,
all mine....  GOD!  I'm so smart!