gene pulser request

Dima Klenchin klenchin at macc.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 28 14:00:40 EST 1995

In article <DIrKL0.K9s at info.swan.ac.uk>,
   you at somehost.somedomain (Your Name Here) wrote:
>In article <494nnf$g1d at gwdu19.gwdg.de>, bkusian at gwdg.de (Bernhard Kusian)
says:

>>We are looking for a gene pulser for electroporation of bacteria,
>>but BioRad as the leading manufacturer seems us very expensive.
>>Does anybody know some other producer/distributors?
>>
>>Thanks for help
>>Bernhard
>

>Try Invitrogen. They have a much cheaper machine

Yes, but keep in mind that it comes _without_ power supply (essentially - an array
of capacitors and resistors with switches).

You can consider also Gibco/BRL. Besides standard fair, they sell even "E.coli
electroporator" (3 fixed voltage settings) for ~ $ 1k. Keep in mind that thier
chamber is not compatible with Bio-Rad type "cuvettes".

AFAIK, the above systems can not reproduce the most widely used Bio-Rad's
settings _exactly_. This may or may not be a problem for you.

If you have _good_ electronics workshop, IMHO the best way is to build it there.
It's nothing: 2.5 kV power supply, high voltage 25 uF capacitor + voltmeter (to see
when it's charched, 100 and 200 Ohm resistors in parallel, electronic keyswitch
(mechanical will burn). As far as chamber goes, the easiest way, probably, is to
copy very simple Bio-Rad holder. If disposable cuvettes are pricey for you, make
reusable that will last forever. If interested, I can make a sketch of the one I used.