splice sites

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Tue Nov 28 22:24:54 EST 1995

In article <mcgorry-2811951614440001 at quadra950.pathology.pitt.edu>,
mcgorry at med.pitt.edu (Michael Gorry) wrote:

> I am interested in obtaining current articles on mRNA splicing and
> the sequences used to determine where the splicing will occur.  A recent
> library search resulted in over 300 hits.  Most of these articles
> came up because the term "splice" was included somewhere in the paper.
> Can anyone suggest any information that would deal with a summary on
> splicing.  I am particulary interested in human splicing.

There was a great review in the last year or so in Cell and the section on
splicing in the RNA world (I believe this was Moore and Sharp).  There is
also a great review of SR proteins (involved in splicing) by Fu in this
month's RNA.

If you are looking for consensus seqs., Donors are AG/GTAAGT and acceptors
are NCAG/NN preceeded by a poly Py tract (T's are better than C's in
this).  Be warned however, splicing junctions are HIGHLY degenerate
especially in humans.  I have not included the "consensus" branch point
sequence because it is just too degenerate for me to believe it
completely.  The ONLY way to reliably determine a splice junction is by
sequencing accross it after RT PCR.  Even then you may not get the entire
picture.  We have a situation where an exon skipped product is made at
VERY low frequency....  you dont see it in cloned RT PCR pieces, we found
it with an RNAse protection.

Good luck,

Don

Don Haut