Is protein quantitation reliable following Trizol extraction?

Eric Zorrilla zorrilla at cattell20.psych.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 30 00:44:19 EST 1995

Hi folks,

	Have any of you used Trizol (or can point me to published
reports that did) to isolate total protein and to quantitate a
*specific* protein to detect treatment effects?

	Is anyone aware of comparative validation studies that compared
Trizol's protein isolate to that achieved by conventional (e.g., acetic
acid) extraction techniques qualitatively and/or quantitatively?

	We talked to the Life Science techline, and they sent us a Focus
article showing a 40-60% yield relative to SDS extraction from cultured
cells, which suggested that the total protein was qualitatively OK.
However, the article had a caution at the end for quantitation attempts
(e.g., as by RIA, suggesting that the protein product would have to be
purified by SDS-PAGE prior to quantitation).  Of course, we'd still like
to know how reliable quantitation of this purified product is.

Thanks for any and all help,

--
| Eric Zorrilla - Dept. of Psychology  | zorrilla at psych.upenn.edu             |