ABI Seq. Analysis Software

Eric C. Anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Wed Nov 29 16:13:15 EST 1995

In article <Andy.Law-2911951749220001 at pc0734.ri.bbsrc.ac.uk>,
Andy.Law at bbsrc.ac.uk (Andy Law) wrote:

>  >  A slighly different thread!
>  >  Does any one have any ideas about speeding up printing.
>  >  We run a Power Mac and an HP1200C printer for our analysis software
>  >  version 2.1.1.
>  >  It takes for ever to print the charts.
>  >  The Mac has 16Mb and the printer has now got 8Mb so it shouldn't
>  >  be a memory problem.
>  >
>  >  Any hints would be appreciated.

if you can find a copy of it, or have it sitting around, try installing v.
1.0 of the printer driver software.  the sequencing facility i used to run
used v. 2.1.1 with a Centris 650 (i think) and printing to an HP 540C was
ridiculously slow.  switching to v. 1.0 of the printer driver software
fixed it completely and they printed out with no problems.  when i asked
the harware tech about this, he said that it was because the printer
driver software was never actually written to support HP printers, it was
just serendipitous that it did.  and when they got around to the later
versions of the driver software (like you probably have if you have
Analysis v. 2.1.1) it worked less well or not at all.  so call ABI or ask
your rep for a copy of the old printer driver and see if that helps.

good luck,

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson