Quantitating mRNA and protein expression

Paul N Hengen pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Nov 30 13:47:25 EST 1995

I am posting this question for someone else. Please send any response to
Greg N. Casey (gcasey at beach.UTMB.edu) and not to me. Thanks.

-Paul.
Greg's Question:

I dabbled a bit in molecular biology during my fellowship training, and have
the requirement of publishing in a peer reviewed journal in order to be able
to sit for my boards (I just finished my training in July).  While in the
lab I traced semi-quantitatively the mRNA and protein expression of a
particular cardiac protein in chickens from very early in embryogenesis
through to the mature chicken.  Reproducibly, mRNA was highest at the
earliest point studied in embryogenesis and declined steadily to it's lowest
point in the adult animal. The protein, conversely was lowest early in
development and highest in the adult.  I have been unable to locate an
article or an individual who could state with certainty that this
discordance of message and protein is unprecedented or not.  I've spoken
with several leukocyte biologists at Baylor who have assured me that  "oh
yeah, that is well known to occur in cytokine production", but none can
produce an article or reference to back up the anecdote.  So I ask about the
bulletin board in hopes that if I'm able to canvas a large # of molecular
biologists, someone may be able to produce hard evidence that this
unexpected phenomenon does in fact occur in other species, systems, or
circumstances.

If you have any insight into the reason for my results I would be very, yes
maybe even
eternally grateful. :-)
Greg N. Casey, M.D.                                        .
Pediatric Critical Care Section
University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
 Tel: 409-772-7699
 Fax: 409-772-4599
Internet: gcasey at beach.UTMB.edu