Phosphorimager vs. Film

Eric C. Anderson e-anderson at ski.mskcc.org
Thu Nov 30 18:48:51 EST 1995

In article <ege-3011951122280001 at cancer-ctr-mac-24.mit.edu>, ege at mit.edu
(ege) wrote:

> Does anyone have a reliable figure for how sensitive a phosphorimager
> screen is vs standard X ray film?  I seem to remember that manufacturers
> claim 20X greater sensitivity then film but in my experience this figure
> seems inflated.

it depends on the phosphorimager.  i don't know the figures for the Fujix
BAS1000 since i only recently started using it, but the Molecular Dynamics
one claimed about 10:1.  we did our own guesstimates that said it was more
like 5-6 times faster.  the best thing about a phosphorimager besides the
time savings though is the ease of quantitation compared with either
scanning a film or using a densitometer.

eric

--
Eric C. Anderson
Cell Biology and Genetics