Methanol substitute for Western?

Frank Chen yatsen at wam.umd.edu
Thu Nov 30 14:16:58 EST 1995

Dear colleagues,
	I got a question for you.
	Currently, I am using methanol in the blotting buffer for
transfering protein onto nitrocellurose membrane.  It generates a lot of
"not for sink" aqueous waste.  I am wondering if I can use ethanol as the
substitue.  Please let me know if you have tried it.
	Not long ago, someone posted the substitute of ethanol for
mathanol for fixing gels after electrophoresis.  It reduces the methanol
waste a lot for us (and the environment).  But, that was only for fixing the
gel.  I wonder it may be different in this case.
	Your oppinions will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Frank Chen