GELSHIFT HELP, No competition

Eric Hanson Eric.Hansson at medkem.umu.se
Thu Nov 30 05:40:44 EST 1995

Hi,

I am very,very confused. I am asking if my recombinant transcription
factor will bind a putative binding site found in an dsDNA 27 mer
oligo. What I do: end label oligo with 32P, desalt over Biospin 6
column to remove most of unincorporated hot label, do gelshift with
(1) crude soluble bacterial extract without expression plasmid
(Induced with IPTG), to serve as control and (2) crude soluble
bacterial extract with expression plasmid (Induced with IPTG
and Wstern confirms it is present and soluble). I see a clean shift
with extract containing the transcription facor and nothing in the
control extract. So far great. However, I cannot compete the band
with 200 fold excess cold probe (added at the same time as hot
probe). The total probe concentration should be higher than the
transcription factor on a molar ratio. The band does not compete with
greater than a 100 fold excess cold ATP ensuring that any
contaminating hot ATP is not binding. Does anyone have any ideas on
what is going on? Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric