Which exonuclease can cut a 5' overhang?

Laurentiu COCEA cocea at citi2.fr
Mon Oct 2 11:18:16 EST 1995

Hi- I have an XbaI 5' overhang and I have tried to digest it with
Mung Bean Nuclease under normal conditions (NEB). Apparently, the
ligation to a blunt fragment I attempted afterwards did not work.
I suppose the next thing to do is try to use S1 nuclease instead of
MBNase. But before I try it, I would greatly appreciate any suggestion
on how I can blunt a 5' or 3' overhang without filling the recessed
strand (in the former case) with nucleotides; that is, by a exonuclease
treatment. Thank you very much for your help.

Laurentiu COCEA
MD., PhD. student
INSERM U373, Institut Necker, Paris
Tel. (33 1) 40 61 53 84