Sma I digestion of genomic DNA

Shin Enomoto shin at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Tue Oct 3 10:26:57 EST 1995

: In article <jburger.4.003BC065 at foodtek.csir.co.za> jburger at foodtek.csir.co.za (Johan Burger) writes:

:    Dear BioNetters

:    Does anyone have any experience with the digestion of plant genomic DNA using
:    the blunt cutter Sma I?   I cannot get it to cut genomic plant DNA, even if

Plant DNA is very often extensively methylated at CpG sequences.  Do you
know if the Sma sites in question is methylated or not.  The total DNA is
not going to look like it cut much after digesting with sma1 alone at
least for maize.  If you are not sure do a double digest with a
methylation insensitive enzyme and check to see if you get cutting on the
southern.

good luck.