What' the real length of normal genomic DNA

oRutebuka oRutebuka at CCMAIL.LLU.EDU
Wed Oct 4 19:14:00 EST 1995

     You will find that I am not answering your question but you may
     realize that I am a little bit expanding it.  We talk about DNA
     molecule.  To my understanding there is not such thing as a DNA
     molecule.  Consider a "molecule" of DNA.  How many atoms?  You see
     when we talk about a molecule of water (H2O) we know we have three
     atoms.  In the case of DNA we rather talk about genomic size.  We are
     counting base pairs and this depends on a species.  The genome size
     can be estimated from several methods including Pulsed-Field Gel
     Electrophoresis.  In many eucaryotes, this genomic DNA may be too
     large even to be resolved by PFGE thus restriction by endonucleases.

Subject: What' the real length of normal genomic DNA
Author:  g.smith at mailbox.uq.oz.au (Greg Smith) at InternetMail
Date:    10/3/95 10:08 AM

Dear netters,

I'm wondering what the actual length (or range) the genomic DNA has.

 Of course the normal gel electrophoresis cannt handle it properly, so the
length is supposed to be around of 50 kb. But all the references with pulse
field gel  I have seen only display genomic DNA prepared from gel block or
bead, with lengths 1mb or above.  Has anybody seen the pulse field  gel photo
of eucaryote genomic DNA prepared with conventional method?

S. Weining
s.weining at mailbox.uq.oz.au
Queensland Ag Biotech Centre
Gehrmann Labs