Mol Biologists, do any of you use precast gels?

xyzzyx xyzzyx at aimnet.com
Thu Oct 5 00:55:29 EST 1995

In article <44prje$f4a at news.inc.net>, boyer at cs.uwp.edu says...

>I have a lot of experience with Novex' PAGE gels.  I love them, although
>they're a bit pricey.  I've never had a problem with them, and all you do
>is rip open the bag, pull the comb, and run.  I can't rave enough about
>them.  I only wish budgets these days allowed for them on a regular
>basis!
>
>--

>Paul D. Boyer, Ph.D.                              900 Wood Road, Box 2000
>Assistant Professor                               Kenosha, WI  53141-2000
>Department of Biological Sciences                    pboyer at cs.uwp.edu
>University of Wisconsin-Parkside

I too, swear by the Novex gels, but, I also found them expensive.  In my last
lab, we were running something like 50-100 mini-gels a week.  Our solution was
a sort of compromise.  Novex sells empty cassettes, which you can seal with
lab tape.  They also sell combs that fit the cassettes (in many different comb
numbers) including a "preparative/2nd dimension for IEF" type comb.  The
latter were great for 2-D electrophoresis and also for semi preparative
isolation of single bands for in-situ Edman degradation and protease
digestion.  We would pre-cast 50-100 gels in a sitting and store them in the
refrigerator (with the combs in place) in a ziplock bag with a soaked, wadded
up paper towel to keep them moist.  They were good for at least two weeks.

This gave us a lot of flexibility to concoct new gel formulations to suit our
needs.  We also ran narrow range IEF in these cassettes by contriving our own
ampholyte mixes.  (BTW they sell precast IEF gels too).  They also sell a
Tricine gel and various DNA gels.  Once I even ran a thin slab agarose gel
just to see if it worked (it did).

Finally, They sell a nice semi-dry blot unit that I swear by.

I don't work for them, I just like their products.

George Trager
Matrix Pharmaceuticals, Inc.