Long Ranger Gel Problem

Sasha Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 5 13:23:01 EST 1995

I have seen the same problem and tracked it down to the amount of DNA
in the sample, that is, more severe with large plasmids, almost none
with PCR products. No real explanation why this happens. However, I
stopped using multiple loadings, as really efficient use of this
gel requires that the two loadings differ by a factor of 4 in the run
time, so it is quite impractical to load the same gel, better make
a two-hour gel and an 8-hour gel separately. Actually, I run a 80-cm
gel overnight ( 12 or 16 hour with a timer ) to get long reads.
Hope this helps,
Sasha