Change in LB recipe?

benedik at uh.edu benedik at uh.edu
Fri Oct 6 14:38:14 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.951005183525.17428A-100000 at howard>
Rafael Maldonado <rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu> writes:

> n 5 Oct 1995, Dale Yuzuki's Work Account wrote:
> >
> > Recently someone in our lab noticed that the premixed LB broth powder from
> > Difco contained 0.5 g/L NaCl instead of the 5.0 g/L formerly (also found
> > in Current Protocols and Sambrook). Maniatis' recipe had 10 g/L.
>
> Don't be confused. Check "Experiments in Molecular Genetics", J.H.
> Miller (1972) CSHL Press, and you will see the difference:
>
> Luria-Bertani Medium (LB)
>
>         NaCl    5 g/l  (10g/l in 1992 edition, called "A short
>                         course in bacterial genetics", same author
>                         and publisher, as in Maniatis.)
>
> Luria Broth (also LB)
>
>         NaCl   0.5 g/l
>
> So you can have Luria-Bertani broth (LB broth), or Luria Broth (LB), but
> never both Luria Broth broth... With regarding to use 5 or 10 g/l, I don't
> think that is going to be a big difference.
>
> Luria-Bertani is the most used medium, and I think it would be fine for
> most pourposes.
>

>         -Rafa

> Rafael Maldonado                             |  La cita ha sido
> room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |
> Department of Human Genetics                |  retirada por respeto
> University of Utah                          |
> Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.            |  a la propiedad
> Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |
> Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu                     |  intelectual.
> Tel: 801-581-4429                           |
> Fax: 801-585-3910                           |

In fact Difco sells two different formulas of LB/Luria/...

They call one LB Broth (Miller) which is with 10g NaCl
The other is just called Luria but I don't know the recipe, since I
haven't bought that one. I guess that is probably what you are getting.
Price is the same for both, so if it worries you, just switch. If you
want
5g NaCl, buy one of each and mix them together.

Michael Benedik               benedik at uh.edu
Biochemical Sciences
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-5934