What' the real length of normal genomic DNA

Greg Smith g.smith at mailbox.uq.oz.au
Mon Oct 9 14:19:12 EST 1995

In article <9509048128.AA812835339 at ccmail.llu.edu> oRutebuka at CCMAIL.LLU.EDU ("oRutebuka") writes:
>From: oRutebuka at CCMAIL.LLU.EDU ("oRutebuka")
>Subject: Re: What' the real length of normal genomic DNA
>Date: 4 Oct 1995 17:14:00 -0700

It seems that my points were misunderstood. Maybe I should have put my
question in a different way. What I really like to know is the length, or
range of length of  DNA fragments prepared by normal "genomic DNA" methods.  I
am not talking about intact molecules here, but the DNA fragments (revealed by
gels)  being through the process of "DNA isolation".

Actually the genome size is not an issue here as we are dicussing the DNA
fragments. "Genomic", when used for DNA isolation methods, implies that all or
most of the DNA within the genome is represented. You are 100% right that
gels, pulse field or not, are not normally suitable for estimating eucaryotic
genome sizes.