Freezer Down - Is Taq still good?

Jody K. Hirsh jkh141 at nwu.edu
Mon Oct 9 13:07:36 EST 1995

In article <45bfko$q8e at news.jhu.edu>, ntheo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
says...

>Our enzyme freezer went down over the weekend - even the coolers were
at room temp.  The most expensive thing we need to replace is Taq DNA
>polymerase, but we're thinking it is probably still good, inasmuch as it
>survives at 95C.  Does anybody else have experience in using Taq that
was at room temperature for a couple of days?
>Nick

TAQ should be stable, it can be shipped at ambient temperature by P-E. It
is sterile until it's opened.  Once opened, freezing is recommended in order
to keep anything from growing in it. If in doubt, I suggest only keeping the
tubes that have not yet been opened and running a control reaction when
they are first used.

Jody K. Hirsh
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL.   USA
jkh141 at nwu.edu